market-farming - Containers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Owsley <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Containers
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 09:02:41 -0400

What do you all use to harvest produce into? For
years we used bushel baskets but didn't like them all that well. Their
shape made it hard to pack the truck for market or the fridge. They tend
to break easily and getting them anything like clean was a chore that
usually wasn't too successful. And they are useless for tomatoes

But...
At market the baskets look good and they are pretty easy to find to
replace.

Still we were not into getting more bushel baskets so we looked around
for about 8 months to find a
replacement and finally found Buckhorn Plastics in Milford, OH and they
sold us some wonderful grey
UV tolerant, stackable and nestable containers. They hold just under a
bushel, take up about half the space of a bushel basket (while holding
about 85% of what the bushels can hold) and they have cut our loading.
Unloading and set time for market about
80%-really. It used to take about 1/2 hour to load the truck for market
and now it takes about 4
minutes.

At first I thought they were ugly but now I have changed my mind and
don't mind their neutral grey appearance and will even sell produce out
of them (though I still like the looks of the wooden bushel basket
better so we always have a few new looking ones to dump beans or whot
not into.
So what do you guys pick into and sell out of?

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH

Looking for a CSA, Farmer's market or other venue for fresh local food?
Check out
http://www.localharvest.com

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong

Voltaire (1694-1778)