market-farming - Re: mulch plus ongoing harlequin bug saga

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: mulch plus ongoing harlequin bug saga
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 01:10:13 +0000

nan j wrote:
----------------
also, what kind of insect eats through the stem of the uppermost sunflower
in a multi branched sunflower plant (not the russian mammoth kind).....
not every blossom is chopped off (about an inch below the flower head),
but there are quite a few just hanging by a thread each day when i check..
weird.....leaves are unaffected as are the rest of the heads on a plant,...
----------------

Hi Nan,

The symptoms you describe match the experience I have had in S. Calif.
with squirrels. Typically, they chew off the entire flower head and drag
it off to be eaten. The ones left hanging by a thread or two or three
came about because the squirrels took off in fear (sunflowerus interruptus,
i call it) when a dog or human cruises by.

If there are total beheadings occurring and you can't find the heads, it may
be squirrels or some other kind of rodent. I think they like the seeds...

Jay Gee
not a farmer -- but interested in farming