market-farming - Re: mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Gary & Sarah Rowland" <hcf AT moment.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: mulch
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 15:33:01 -0500

Assuming the hay is herbicide free it will work great as a mulch.  Have some friends who use it all the time.
First year we were in this business we had some hay lying around that we put round some of our fall tomatoes.  Worked great until it rained and the herbicide leached into the ground, all the tomatoes with the hay wilted and had signs of herbicide damage the others didn't.  As herbicide free hay is almost nonexistant around here we haven't used it since.