market-farming - Re: Biointensive by Steve Rioch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jeffery Blake" <echoecho AT bedford.heartland.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Biointensive by Steve Rioch
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 12:44:32 -0500

I don't know the authors you folks are referring to, but like most of us
here i suppose, I am interested in applying these types of pricipals to my

operation. I feel like much of the time I am reinventing the wheel. I
would like to know more.

A few thoughts on Davids reply. Tillage does two things besides killing
weeds. First it stimulates weed germination and second it destroys large
amounts of organic matter. By leaving it on the surface you get a more even
breakdown of nutrients and no large loss of carbon.

Hot compost is pretty much out of the question for me--Why would you want to
compost rather than leaving it on the field? I think some of the greatest
advantages of green manures are their mulching properties when left on top
of the soil and their effectivness at stopping erosion, certain crops have
allelopathic proterties as well.

LIke I said, I'm developing much of my systems as I go--including rotations
and tillage practices. So far I think my most valuable tools are a rotatry
mower, a flamer, and a high residue Buffalo cultivator ( with various
sweeps--the fourteen and eightheen inch sweeps run just under the surface
shattering the top inch, but not turning it under--this cultivator is a
great tool, by changing sweeps and adjusting widths and adding removing this
and that). Also plastic mulch and water lines.

I have been using a rotary hoe with more convential tillage, but need to get
a high residue hoe as well. You guys have alot more experience than me
and I'm sure I'm probably talking beneath you, but I would enjoy a lot more
of this type of discussion.