market-farming - Re: Persistent Trees

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Persistent Trees
  • Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 14:08:25 -0500

I'd love to run my sheep through the area needing control but along much of
the road its a very steep slope around 60ยบ or more so I'd really need
mountain goats. I think I'll try the rock salt idea in the stumps. My
husband suggested that we use an auger to get down into the stump really
well which hopefully will also contain the salt because there are wild
lilies all along the area also.

The article from Del was very interesting. We have a whole farm full of
black walnut trees and I have experienced the problems encountered with
trying to grow beneath them. It would be very interesting to try this as a
herbicide. I even wonder what would happen if one tilled in the sawdust?
My best garden is bordered north and south by two huge black walnuts and I
never even bother to try solanaceous crops in there but the greens, cukes,
squash and all do beautifully in it.

Mulberries are probably the worst, Del. And I swear they can get fairly big
before I realize they've come up in a spot. I have in the past cut some
that come up by the house and then put black plastic over the stump and
secured it with a rubber band and it seemed to work - I think I'd add in a
dose of salt in a drilled out hole then use the black plastic.

joan