market-farming - Re: soybeans and other comments

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: soybeans and other comments
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 21:42:02 -0500

for Marie - you can get organic, food-grade soybean seed from KOP, Kansas
Organic Producers - if you want the phone number - email me and I'll send
it.

This has been the weirdest week - we started with frost Sunday and Monday
night and ended Friday with 90+º. All the lettuce I put out Wednesday
evening was dead by Friday morning from the heat - I was watering broccoli,
kale, chard and all every two hours. It all looks fine now but what a pain.
Thankfully we had gotten the shade cloth on the plastic-less hoophouse and
so it took over for the greenhouse that was pegged at 110º no matter what I
did.

To boot the power company contractors come on Wednesday morning to announce
they were clear cutting and spraying all along our property under their
power lines (we have 1 1/8 miles under power lines on two sides). Well - I
think they have finally agreed not to spray but I told them I'd try to find
a solution for keeping the cut trees from growing back - does anyone have
any ideas? All I can think of is possibly salt water but I've never tried
it. Help!!

And finally I found this old clipping on the top of the fridge this week
when we moved it out to replace it and thought you'd all enjoy it:

Ad in the Dublin Ohio News:
"Part-time help in vegetable garden for farm market. Must be able to see
lightning, hear thunder and find your way to work. The ability to determine
a dead tomato plant form a live one is a plus."

joan
windwalker farm
ottawa, kansas