market-farming - Re: market-farming digest: April 26, 2001

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dori Green" <dorigreen00 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: market-farming digest: April 26, 2001
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 06:34:33 -0400

I had heard "pinhook" as a particularly nasty parasitical worm that can be picked up by running around a barnyard barefoot.

The term sure fits.

It's fine with me if bona fide farmers are allowed to fill out their stands with some reselling. It insults my efforts when I'm forced to compete with some yahoo whose only effort has been to back his truck up to a loading dock. I'm deeply offended and resentful, especially when the published market rules clearly state that all participants must be bona fide farmers or craftspersons. I boycott such markets and loudly, obnoxiously urge everybody I know to boycott them also until they clean up their act or at least change the rules to admit that they're nothing but an illusion.

I'm doing two markets this year -- ignoring the market next door (mostly a flea market) and the one just down the hill (pinhookers), hauling everything 15-20 miles to real markets with other real farmers. That market in town has lost most of the real growers.

Dori Green
Ash Grove Community Farm & Center for Sustainable Living
Corning, NY

http://www.ic.org/agrove