market-farming - Spading implements & Raised beds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sgilman <sgilman AT netheaven.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Spading implements & Raised beds
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 01 11:21:17 -0500

For a book in progress on "Holistic Organics" (having to do with
systematically intercropping habitat for beneficial organisms in the field or
garden for pest and disease control) I am researching how growers utilize
raised beds in general and how they use appropriate technology ­­ and spaders
in particular. Here, I'm interested in spader brand names, tillage widths,
horsepower required, cost of implements and commercial availability as well
as how they work in conjunction with other tillage and planting operations.
Also, how well do they incorporate organic matter and what are the overall
soil effects -- on compaction, aggregation, aerobic decomposition, etc ?
Thanks.

Steve Gilman
Ruckytucks Farm
130 Ruckytucks Road
Stillwater, NY 12170
518/ 583-4613

  • Spading implements & Raised beds, sgilman, 03/06/2001