market-farming - Re: Staking Tomato's

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Staking Tomato's
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 14:09:51 -0600

> with the Florida Weave method, it takes me about two hours to tie an acre
> using a pvc stick and belt mounted twine box...
What is the Florida weave method, what do you do with the pvc stick and
where did you get a belt mounted twine box? I do t-posts every 8' or so and
wrap both sides of the plants. It takes me a couple of hours to do just a
few rows of tomatoes and I usually managed to trip myself several times with
the twine. Maybe we need to produce a video on tomato staking for those of
us who are imagination-challenged.

I'm putting in around 600 plants this year, a very sharp reduction from the
1500+ of last year. 300 of them are the determinates that we grow for the
salsa project and they will be grown under the concrete reinforcing wire
that's just bowed over the row. It worked well last year on these small
plants - easy picking and good support. But I'm intrigued by the various
ideas for staking the indeterminates. In year's past I've planted two rows
of tomatoes in a 36" bed with a row of t-posts down the center that the
twine is tied to as mentioned above. I'm thinking that I'm going to try a
single row this year and see if it improves production but will probably
continue to do the weaving since I have a considerable amount of t-posts and
a box of twine from Johnny's is reasonable.

So what's the Florida weave?

joan
windwalker farm
ottawa, kansas