market-farming - Re: staking tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mary Souza" <msouza AT icehouse.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: staking tomatoes
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 09:16:34 -0800

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2001 4:13 AM
Subject: [market-farming] Re: staking tomatoes

I anchor mine in two ways:

Drive 5' tall stakes (pine works...rebar is better) just inside the cage in
3 places.  Two would do if you want to attach the stakes to the cage.

I have also buried the cage up to the first square.
I bury my cages (reinforced concrete) up to the first square them push in 3-4 tent stakes (9-12 inches) over the wire. I have no problem with them blowing over. I then wrap them with preforated plastic to act as a greenhouse.

Mary
zone 5