market-farming - Re: johnsongrass

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sudoa Farm <awarren AT jetstream.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: johnsongrass
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 07:44:14 -0800

I'm not familiar with Johnson grass at all, being too far North perhaps. Its
underground roots and invasive nature sound similar to cooch or quake grass.?
We've had
great success eradicating the latter and canary grass from our bottom land
(which was
made fertile in part from the lush annual growth of these grasses) by using 2
consecutive plantings of buckwheat as a smother crop. Might this work with
Johnson
grass?

Earthfarm1 AT aol.com wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> Thanks Paul for the well written post on Johnson grass.
>
> I'm about an hour or so north of you and can attest to your comments on
> Johnson grass and deer.
>
> Fortunately the areas which are primarily Johnson grass are not needed for
> crops ...just pasture. So I hope to take advantage of the fact that cattle
> will eat it, and that it is a warm season grass.
>
> I always prefer to work with nature. So If Johnson grass thrives under
> current conditions so be it. I'm hoping that by grazing it hard in those
> pasture areas where it is unwanted or taking over that I will be able to
> control it! I'm just starting so we'll see:)
>
> So far I've grown only a few crops..wheat(30 acres), and some corn(1 acre)
> and though deer abound damage has been slight. Now if they were veggies that
> might have been different. My biggest concern is that they will break barbed
> wire perimeter fences. I'm not crazy about that barbed wire...lots of cuts
> and scratches nasty stuff!
>
> I plan on using electric fence to subdivide pastures for rotational grazing.
>
> All the best. Frank
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: awarren AT jetstream.net
> leave-market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
> Get the list FAQ at:
> http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/market-farming.faq

  • Re: johnsongrass, Earthfarm1, 02/01/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: johnsongrass, Sudoa Farm, 02/01/2001
    • Re: johnsongrass, William E. Dellinger, International Food Congress, 02/01/2001