market-farming - Re: perennial weeds and deer damage

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Victoria Mundy Bhavsar <toria AT pop.uky.edu>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: perennial weeds and deer damage
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 12:50:51 -0500

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the information on deer damage and perennial weeds, it's been
very interesting and I'm sure it'll satisfy the examiner. Don't stop, of
course!

Let me explain myself a little bit, since a couple people have asked me why
I am not researching this information for myself. The answer is, I did; I
wrote a long essay on perennial weed control, insect control, and disease
control, and mentioned deer at the end as being a bad animal pest. The
examiner said he would ask me in the oral exam *what farmers ACTUALLY DO to
control the pests*. I wrote about all the extension recommendations; he
wants to know what really happens in the field, so I had to ask you all.

If anyone is interested in seeing the exam -- it covered soil quality on
organic farms, categories of pest control, and improvement in nutrient
management (specifically nitrate leaching) it might have some good
information for you. Then again, it might not go deep enough since I had
to write the whole thing in one day. But I'd be happy to send it to anyone
who would be interested.

One last thing, my ideas for johnsongrass control included sanitation of
equipment, clean mulching material, certified seed, rotations with small
grain and alfalfa to shade it out, frequent mowing and disking, and grazing
if you're careful of cyanide buildup after drought. Disking in cold
weather helps stress the rhizomes.

Oh, and Del, classes for my Ph.D. in soil science were chosen from the
complement of normal university courses. Lots of soils, plus a few plant
protection, economics, and sociology. I chose the classes myself based on
the need for a reasonably broad understanding of agricultural issues plus
the need to have in-depth soils knowledge. My research is in microbiology
and quality of soils on organic farms, emphasis on nitrogen behavior.

Thanks again, everybody.
Victoria

Victoria M. Bhavsar
Dept. of Agronomy
N106R Ag. Sci. North, UK
Lexington, KY 40546-0091
606/257-2103
...But other seed fell into good soil and brought
forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold,
some thirtyfold... St. Matthew 13:8