market-farming - Record keeping

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Record keeping
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 16:48:00 -0600

Does anyone have a good method to keep track of what they sold at market
each year. I keep a smaller-size notebook in which I put in every item
taken to market: the size of bunches or weight, if bagged; the amount taken;
sell prices; and I try to keep track of how much of each item sold. So now
I am ready to put this all on a spread sheet because I want an easy way
besides thumbing through the notebook to see what I sold and when, and when
the best prices were. I have all this good information accumulated and
can't figure out what to do with it.

I just sat down this afternoon and set up a (ha-ha) spreadsheet on Excel
with just the produce, seedlings and prepared foods listed. It's huge!
Then I was going to go across with the market dates but want to include sell
price - which turns into an incredibly unwieldy spreadsheet. Does anyone
have any suggestions?

Since I'm getting ready to put seed orders together I thought I'd attack
this first but its already worn me down! Surely someone has already solved
this without buying additional software. Maybe what I'm trying to do should
be put into several spreadsheets, i.e. amount sold; bunches/weight; sell
price, etc.

This is strictly informative, I'll use quick books to determine my profit.

Any help will be appreciated!

Joan Vibert
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, Kansas