market-farming - Re: market-farming Electric Blankets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dori Green" <dorigreen00 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: market-farming Electric Blankets
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 09:15:07 -0500

Electric blankets are designed NOT to have things on top of them, even other blankets.  It isn't safe even with a plastic cover.

There are electric mattress pads on the market, much cheaper than blankets (I paid $40 for a full-size one this year), and they're made to have things sitting on them.  If I was using them for seed starting I'd get old twin mattresses and the cheapest twin bed size pad (they're fitted so using the mattress makes sense).

I've also used heating cables for starting seeds with good results, and I've discovered the joys of buying well-started 512 flats from a local commercial grower for $20 each, potting up and growing on in cold frames so I don't have to mess with the special needs of tender babies!

Dori Green, Ash Grove Community Farm, Corning NY