market-farming - garlic, sweet potatoes and rooster vs possum

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marie Kamphefner <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: garlic, sweet potatoes and rooster vs possum
  • Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 14:42:31 -0600

Regards to the list:

Friday, we finished planting garlic here in north central Missouri.  It was snowing as the last of the cloves were shoved into the soft dirt and covered up.  The plowed ground had finally dried up enough from the last rain and we were able to bring the disk and tiller in to ready the bed.  We've never had good garlic grow here before but this time we got the garlic from a nearby farmer.  We have high hopes for this.

Also, we finally were able to dig the sweet potatoes and most of them were ruined from the freeze.  The ones deepest in the ground were fine but the others began rotting soon after they hit the air.  The chickens have certainly enjoyed them.

Speaking of chickens, I want to relate a true story.   Last week, a possum got into the chicken house and killed one of the young chickens. Hubby shot the possum.  What a terrible creature - he had fangs.  How we found out about the possum was so strange. It was almost dark and  I was sitting at the dining room table, reading the paper when the gray rooster (the mean one that tore a hole in one of my socks) flew up and beat his wings against the window.  That was unusual because ordinarily, he would be on his roost asleep by then and no chicken around here had even done anything like that before.  I was alarmed by this so Hubby  put on his boots and coat and went outside to check, came back for the rifle and so on.  The possum wasn't in the house where the gray rooster lives - he was in the other one.  So, now, when the gray rooster comes to the porch and crows repeatedly, we go outside and check everything.  I never thought we would have a watch chicken.

The Monday after Thanksgiving, we adopted a beautiful female Great Pyrenees who grew up in the city.  She is making herself right at home here and we hope she will keep the varmints away for us.  She mostly ignores the chickens except to sniff their behinds now and then, which they hate, but we think we can live with it.  Things are looking up in north central Missouri.

Marie in Missouri

  • garlic, sweet potatoes and rooster vs possum, Marie Kamphefner, 12/03/2000