market-farming - Re: Speedling Trays vs. TLC Plug Flats

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Speedling Trays vs. TLC Plug Flats
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 13:42:36 -0500

I use the 50 128 and 200 TLC trays and lettuce can be just as hard to remove,
I found
the plants with the biggest root system pulled easy no matter what cell size
I use,
lettuce has a very fine root and needs more time to grow into each larger
size cell it
can take two additional weeks to fill a 50 cell compaired to a 128 cell, for
the
earliest planting use the smallest cell, unfortunatly waiting for a bigger
root system
can over harden the seedling too much and ruin a crop, the best way to
improve removal
is to soak each tray moments before transplanting the dripping wet root ball
pops out
nicely.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.