market-farming - Re: Organic farms in Europe

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shooting Star Farm DaVee/Bonde" <starfarm AT mhtc.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Organic farms in Europe
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 09:37:50 -0500

My wife and I did this last year. I would advise that you make connections
before getting there especially if you don't speak their language. Though
the markets are wonderful and there are a lot people that would obviously be
nice to talk with, it was not appropriate to take up their time at the
market. And we found it hard to make the connections that we had hoped for.
One thing to keep in mind when doing internet searches is that in France
they call organic biologic (maybe mispelled). Contact the Agriculture
university in SW France, I met a group of students this summer who were
visiting the US and so I know there is a great deal of interest in organic
farming by the students in France.
We also went to Italy and attended the EIMA show in Bologna. A huge trade
show geared for larger production but still fascinating. Clearly a very
worthwhile business trip.

Rink
Shooting Star Farm
Mineral Point, WI