market-farming - Re: Horse manure as a fertilizer

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Peg Cook" <pegcook AT northnet.org>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Horse manure as a fertilizer
  • Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 07:15:51 -0400

Bob,
If your soil tests show that you have sufficient P and K then, I do not
think that you would need to add them at this time. What you may want to
think about is adding them maybe, every 3 years or so. I would recommend
you get a soil test done every 3 years as well so you know what needs to be
added. The other nutrient you may be deficient in is Calcium. With a
clayey soil, the compost could cause Calcium to become tied up as well as P
and K.

Does this answer your question? I would still recommend a soil test first
to know where you need to go for adding your soil amendments.

Peg Cook
Cook's Consulting

pegcook AT northnet.org