market-farming - Re: solar prism greenhouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: nitty4 AT juno.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: solar prism greenhouse
  • Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 20:07:09 -0600

I have a Solar Prism Greenhouse. I tried growing tomatoes in mine and I
had problems with molds. I took this to mean that the ventilation was
not adequate. I must say, I live in the high desert of New Mexico.
Temps in the summer are high 80s to high 90s. In the greenhouse with ALL
openings open, the temp was 120F. Too hot for most plants and certainly
animals like chickens. I ended up having to put up a frame over the
greenhouse and put a tarp on the frame to shade the greenhouse. Temps
down to the 80s.

I tried raising broilers with the greenhouse the main area for weather
protection. I ended up having a portable swamp cooler put in the window,
because of the high temp. Afterward, temps were down in the 70s. The
broilers LOVED it!

I noticed after butchering that there was some mold in the bottom of my
12 inches of straw litter. The depth of the straw kept the mold from
being a problem for the broilers but I wasn't happy with the fact that
mold was there.

I don't know if this helps or not. Do you need anything more specific?
pat in NM
**************
On Sun, 17 Sep 2000 15:46:17 -0500 "Alan Brant , Ann ODonnell"
<castoriver AT juno.com> writes:
> Has anyone had experience with a Solar Prism Greenhouse? This is a
> small,
> fiberglass, gothic arch type, all of one piece, with 2 vents in the
> roof.
> I'm concerned it would not have sufficient ventilation. Any advice?
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: nitty4 AT juno.com
> $subst('Email.Unsub')
> To subscribe send email to lyris AT franklin.oit.unc.edu

Not everything that counts can be counted-Larry Dossey (physician)