market-farming - Re: Basil Prices

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "delannw" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Basil Prices
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 17:12:54 -0500

I sell four varieties: basic green (and some is Genovese), Thai, Purple
Ruffled and Bouquet. The price is 50 cents per stem. A stem is about 6"
long and well leafed at this point in the season. Bouquet is just a bit
different but a stem simply is as long as what ends at the main stem of the
plant when I cut it. I have never weighed basil to sell it. Each of the
varieties has a different following and I usually sell four buckets (about
the size of an ice bucket) at the market on Saturday.

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton IL