market-farming - RE: holistic approach to blister beetles?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT Hart.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'market farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: holistic approach to blister beetles?
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 07:37:47 -0500

Nosema is a biological. If memory serves, it may be a protozoan - not sure
about that - but it is the equivalent for grasshoppers of BT for
lepidoptera. I can't remember the source, but it was one of the companies
specializing in 'stuff for organic gardeners' (my quotes). It comes in a
bran base, the bran is scattered on the ground where the grasshoppers are,
they eat it and die. Since grasshoppers eat each other, it spreads rapidly.
We got pretty good control in a few weeks and it lasted years. Hope this
helps.

Alison