market-farming - Re: tomatoe question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <jrei AT uswest.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: tomatoe question
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 20:22:22 -0700

Susan,
Sounds like you have blossom end rot. (BER) Problem is caused by lack of
plant available
calcium that can be aggravated by inconsistent watering. Some varieties are
more
susceptible than others. The tissue at the tip, or blossom end is very weak
from the lack
of calcium and is easily invaded by bacteria and fungi. Water soluable
calcium nitrate is
about the quickest solution

Joel @ Territorial Seed