market-farming - Re: Mineral deposits and PH

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Peg Cook" <pegcook AT northnet.org>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Mineral deposits and PH
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 07:06:31 -0400

Peter,
The mineral deposits could be coming from the water and/or the fertilizer.
Most liquid fertilizers (chemical) have a "salt base" which could be
deposited. In your case, being organic, if you are using Fish Emulsion,
that could also contain enough salts to be causing mineral deposits. The
other questions is, do you have "hard" water. This would be indicated by
Calcium and/or Magnesium deposits. Also, Sodium could come into play here
as well.

As for the pH level, mineral deposits can raise pH levels, especially since
they are alkaline based.

Hope this helps!

Peg Cook, Agronomist
Cook's Consulting