market-farming - Re: onion seeds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marie Kamphefner <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: onion seeds
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 22:29:20 -0500

At 09:07 PM 07/08/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Onions are normally biennials, meaning that they grow a storage structure
(the bulb) their
>first year, then overwinter and go to seed the second year. If you save
seeds from onions
>that are going to seed in their first year, you will be selecting for
early bolting; this
>would be a bad thing. It would be worth the price to buy new seeds rather
than
>haphazardly saving your own.
>
>Chris Blanchard

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the input! These onions wintered over in the garden because I
overlooked them and this is their second year. They are a kind we couldn't
get this year because of a crop failure in Texas, so I was told. It is
mainly a challenge for me probably to see if I could save the seed and
actually grow onions from them and if so, would they be like the parent
onion? I don't have facilities where I can control humidity and
temperature with any degree of accuracy for seeds, so it would most likely
be a lost cause. Your reply made me stop and think. . .

Marie in Missouri

  • onion seeds, Marie Kamphefner, 07/07/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: onion seeds, Alex McGregor, 07/07/2000
    • Re: onion seeds, Chris and Kim Blanchard, 07/08/2000
    • Re: onion seeds, Marie Kamphefner, 07/08/2000