market-farming - Re: First Market Day

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <acg AT austin.rr.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: First Market Day
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 20:17:07 -0500

Marie, sounds like you had a realistic first day at a one version of an
established farmers market. I have a few words of explanation for you.

First, don't expect that bringing your produce, which is competition, will
always be viewed as a positive addition by the other farmers - particularly
if you have the same produce and lower prices. Second, the fact that it's
your first market and that you state you have the resources to give your
crops away or use them for compost indicates you may not be at the farmers
market to make a living. Some of the farmers you interacted with may have
been farming and selling for years - 7/24 as the techies in Austin say, 7
days a week, 24 hours a day - and this is their only source of income and
they can be pretty protective. Third, just because farmers sell at a
farmers' market, doesn't mean they value "community." The market just
happens to be the place they can sell their produce for the best price -
being nice to the other vendors is not part of the contract.

I am not trying to excuse their rude behavior, I have experienced it myself
as I sell the produce we raise at Austin Community Gardens (ACG) and it does
hurt Some markets accept new folks immediately and some never do. ACG gets
slammed because we are a nonprofit, therefore the belief is we have another
salary paying us while we "dabble" at farming, and this is partly true. So
for now, we focus our organic produce sales in low-income neighborhoods
where no one else wants to sell and therefore provide a valuable service to
neighborhoods that do not have access to fresh, nutritious produce. We have
found our niche and it works well for us. We are also selling our produce
directly to restaurants.

Don't give up if farming is your dream. Your work is to sell fresh,
nutritious produce to the public - focus on that.

Terri Buchanan
Executive Director
Austin Community Gardens