market-farming - RE: Cut Worms

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Miranda Smith <MirandaS AT creativehomeowner.com>
  • To: 'market farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Cut Worms
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 12:12:57 -0400

Depending on your scale (for obvious reasons), carry a box of toothpicks
with you when you transplant. Poke three toothpicks around each stem of each
transplant--butted right up against the stem. For a long term control,
beneficial nematodes work well. But because you are north of their range,
you have to use them in warm weather; they won't overwinter for you. If you
can afford them, get them now and apply them. But do the toothpick trick
too; the nematodes will take awhile to exert control.

Miranda Smith