market-farming - Re: HELP!!-Poppies

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ava Devenport" <essenheal AT iname.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Re: HELP!!-Poppies
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 13:0:19

> YIKES, Ava! You would have to use the sand in a 1:1 ratio, existing soil to
> sand, to achieve your goal without making concrete. According to the good
> folks at Rodale (forgive my having forgotten the exact reference at the
> moment), you would have to add 5-6 TONS of sand to a 20 x 30 bed to
> accomplish anything other than concrete.
>
> You'd be much better off adding compost or other organic matter, assuming
> that you're trying to lighten clay. Just what kind of soil do you have?
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Dawn

Not clay this time, Dawn, very rich composted soil. Black and FULL of big,
fat earthworms. But I do mix sand with my clay in Colorado for terraces, a
couple of hot, sunny days and I get pottery tile! Sometimes I make plant
extracts to change the color, very interesting patterns have evolved at
times.

Still that amount of sand to lighten the soil up? It's definitely too
heavy for herbs. Thanks.

Blessings,
Ava