market-farming - Re: Market restrictions-HELP!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Market restrictions-HELP!
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 11:52:13 -0400

>It is not designated as a producer only market, but that was the intent
when formed

"Intents" are not enforceable. Designations of saleable goods (produce,
crafts, value added items, etc), need to be in writing, and signed copies
from all vendors kept on file. This should be done at the beginning of each
marketing season as a gentle reminder for returning and new vendors. It
isn't fair to new vendors if they do not know exactly what is and isn't
allowed. And it also isn't fair to your customers not to know what to
expect. Simple, explicit rules are easier to enforce.

>1) a couple of "value-added" items that are being sold as Kansas items.
....from out->of-state bulk dried herbs, but mixing/packaging/marketing done
in Ks. by member. >Rules state that item must contain Kansas product.

The rules need to specify a reasonable percentage. Once again, explicit
rules evaporate small problems such as this.

> 2)The second major concern is the processed/packaged/frozen meat items.
The concern is for our market, and legality of allowing these for sale.

This should fall under the health department"s rulings. I'd check with
them, as their rules may take care of future problems. Our market is not
held liable for the goods sold--this is each vendor's responsibility. The
health department oversees all frozen &/or ready-to-eat products. They are
allowed to be sold, but restrictions apply such as adequate refrigeration,
freezer, and sanitary conditions.

>Our rules state that all vendors must comply on their own, with the state
laws. (Baked good and jellies are to be done in a certified kitchen, and
labeled properly, all vendors are to obtain own tax id #, etc.) We do not
"police" this,

You have too large a market to not be policing it more than this. Draw up
some rules and get them signed! For your market's protection. Our city
attorney oversees our market liability which just covers customers
(tripping, falling, etc). Each vendor is responsible for product liability,
and is required to have it!! You can't be too safe in this litigious
society.

Liz Pike
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville NC