market-farming - Re: Pembroke and Razor Clay

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Denver" <dchs AT infocom.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Re: Pembroke and Razor Clay
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 17:2:23

Ava....how do you feel about chickens? Although it wont help alot with the
clay it will enrich the soil, which will allow cover crops and other plants
to grow. I too have heavy clay, and for years I have hauled in manure,
leaves, grass clippings, etc. But on the advice of users on this site
keeping chickens in bottomless cages and moving them daily, you can provide
food for the birds and food for the ground. I also have a rabbit that helps
minimally. But the principle is the same.
Also if you have landscapers in your area, call them and see if they
will dump grass clippings and leaves on your property.
Good luck!! Denver zone 5 IN