market-farming - gypsy moths/parasitoids

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Liz Pike <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: gypsy moths/parasitoids
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 09:39:31 -0500

I need information on biological controls of gypsy moths. I've
exhausted 3 libraries, internet & 2 entomologists--Any states/farms
using/experimenting with parasitic wasps, flies, beetles, viruses,
predators, etc?? Do you use these controls as opposed to or in
addition to spraying programs?? If you spray what do you use?? I
can't find information(except from governmental & manufacturing
sources ((don't trust them)) ) on long term problems from Bt v.
k.--for the environment or humans. I understand it's fairly
innocuous, but are there problems with continuous spraying?? Can it
be used over residential areas??

Do gypsy moths affect Christmas trees??

I understand plants with small flowers are the most attractive to
parasitoids. One experiment from the University of Oregon found
these provide the best food sources--catnip, yarrow, dill, annual
alyssum, cilantro, mustard, buckwheat and Korean licorice mint. Any
other plant varieties?? What about flowers??

Any other suggestions for community gardens wishing to aid in the
biological control of this pest?? (I hate to even call them
pests---they are exquisite creatures!)

Liz Pike
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville NC

  • gypsy moths/parasitoids, Liz Pike, 03/23/2000