market-farming - Seedflats & other Recycled Stuff

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ericka & Rich Dana" <doodles AT netins.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Seedflats & other Recycled Stuff
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 16:28:18 -0800

We get donations from Market & CSA customers and neighbors of used
seedflats, plastic and terra cotta pots, paper and plastic shopping bags,
newspapers, egg cartons, canning jars and the like.

We can use all of it again at one time or another, and this stuff goes
around and around for a long time before finally going to the "official"
recycling center, the compost heap, or the dump, depending.

We also take donations of old sheets, blankets, towels and the like to use
as winter protection in the garden or to pass on to animal shelters that
need them.

All of the above mentioned stuff is often considered "unrecycleable" or not
nice enough (too worn out) for resale at places like Goodwill. You have to
have some storage space for irregular sizes and shapes of containers and
sometimes do some scrubbing to manage this kind of thing, but I like it -
and people like to find a home for useful things rather than throw them out.
Sometimes I find bags of things hanging from my mailbox...

Ericka, Catnip Farm
--The Mighty Oak was once a little nut that held its ground.