market-farming - Re: Reference books to develop a better understanding of soil

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sojourner <sojournr AT missouri.org>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Reference books to develop a better understanding of soil
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 14:47:43 -0600

Hugh Jordan wrote:

> I am looking for basic reference books so I can develop understanding of
> soil, especially in the context of pasture. Can someone help me.

Some pasture management books that I have and can recommend include:

Greener Pastures on Your Side Of the Fence
can't remember who wrote it and it may be out of print
Salad Bar Beef by Joel Salatin
Grass Productivity by Andre Voisin

Some books on soil I've seen mentioned on this list recently include:

FEED THE SOIL by Edwin McLeod.

recommended by: Michaele of Growing Things

She says about the book: the first part is a bit difficult to get
through. Skip it and go to the middle, and in the back is information on
various cover crops.

Fertile Soil" by Robert Parnes

recommended by: Aaron of Creative Growers

He says about this book: A wonderful primer on soil fertility. This
book has quite a price tag, $40 when purchased 5 years ago, but worth
every penny. Discussions on the role of humus, biological activity, and
formulating fertility programs. Priceless charts on nutrient contents
of loads of fertilizers/manures/etc.

An excellent source of out of print books is The Advanced Book Exchange,
a consortium of thousands upon thousands of small, mostly used, book
dealers throughout the country (and even overseas sometimes).

You can maintain a list of "wants" on the ABE site. They automatically
do a database search every day and notify you when a match appears via
e-mail. I have found many, many, MANY out of print and difficult to
find books via ABE. The URL is:

http://www.abebooks.com

--
Holly ;-D