market-farming - Job Announcement

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Andy Lee & Pat Foreman" <goodearth AT rockbridge.net>
  • To: sanet <sanet-mg AT ces.ncsu.edu>
  • Cc: pasturepoultry AT onelist.com , market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Job Announcement
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 18:25:48 -0500

Title: Job Announcement
Please excuse the cross posting>

Career Opportunity for a working Farm Manager at Good Earth Organic Farm, Buena, Virginia.

Effective: March 20, 2000

$15,000 base salary, plus housing, farm raised food, and liberal profit sharing. Combined package first year is over $30,000, with substantial increases in the second year.

We require a Masters degree or equivalent experience or strong interest in small farm planning and management, rotational grazing, value added processing, market gardening, orchards, vineyards, brambles, livestock and poultry, or dairy and milk processing. Additional interests in permaculture, carpentry and house building, writing and publishing, and teaching sustainable agriculture will be a definite plus.

We are located in the southern end of the beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. We are one hour north of Roanoke, and four hours west of Washington DC, about 5 miles from the intersection of Interstates 81 and 64 in historic Lexington, Virginia.

We are a 41-acre research and demonstration farm for Good Earth Publications, and the working campus for Good Earth Farm School. We are certified organic, and raise chickens, turkeys, pheasants, beef, dairy cows, pork, meat goats, market gardens, greenhouses, bramble fruits and orchards. We have a share milking arrangement with a nearby Amish community, and we are building a USDA-inspected poultry and milk processing facility. We sell our products at our farm store, and we operate a distribution route to restaurants and natural foods stores in Virginia, North Carolina, Maryland, West Virginia, and Washington DC. We will be selling one day each week at a farmers market in Washington DC.

Send cover letter and resume to:
Andy Lee, Director
Good Earth Organic Farm
1702 Mountain View Road
Buena Vista, Virginia 24416
Phone and Fax: 540-261-8775
Email: goodearth AT rockbridge.net
Web Site: www.goodearthpub.com

Thank you.

  • Job Announcement, Andy Lee & Pat Foreman, 02/26/2000