market-farming - Re: Glazing - coldframes & cloches:saran wrap

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: flowers AT rt66.com (Wilderness Flowers)
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Glazing - coldframes & cloches:saran wrap
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 08:31:24 -0700 (MST)

weve been testing 'pallet wrap ' for the past 6 weeks and so far, it is
still quite flexible and no loss of structure in our high uv climate at 7000
feet at least under winter conditions.
we certainly aware of its propensity to degrade quickly but so far so good
and we do intend to use it for very short term cloches in spring to gain a
few week advantage at minimal cost

martin >
>>>I haven't tried this and, actually wouldn't. Saran Wrap(tm) or any other
>>>kitchen film has virtually no UV stability adn would go to shreds or powder
>>>in rather quick order, maybe even less than 30 days, then you have the
>>>problem of how to get this hydrocarbon based contamination out of your
>>>field.
>
>Test it, I bet it wouldn't last 2 or 3 days. Regular construction plastic
>starts to turn brittle in a week if left in the sun.
>
>---
>You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: flowers AT rt66.com
$subst('Email.Unsub')

Martin Connaughton
Wilderness Flowers
223 North Guadalupe St. pmb # 159
Santa Fe, NM 87501
zone 3-4-5 depending on mother nature .. zone 5 this year and no snow