market-farming - Re: introduction

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elizabeth Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: introduction
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 11:49:20 -0500

Hi Alison & Paul! This is great, isn't it! I hope everyone picks up on
this thread to introduce themselves.

I'm Liz Pike of Morningstar Gardens in very snowy Pollocksville, NC. We
have 45 acres-5 acre homesite, 17 leased to a conventional farmer, the rest
is wooded/wetlands. I kept out 5 acres for my non-certified organic, market
garden, which at the present time is 3200 sq ft, which will eventually grow
to fill those 5 acres. Still debating the certification thing, but we'll
see. We just started raising meat rabbits, and had 80 chickens whom we
lost to a wild dog attack back in August, along with 5 rabbits (breeding
stock!)-must start over this spring. 1 surviving chicken became a housepet
& has her cage in our basement living room. (We put her out in the snow
this morning & she promptly flew around the house to the kitchen window
sill, wanting to be let back in. She's now foraging through the cat & dog
food-LOL!) Besides the usual veggies, we sell lots of sunflowers, fresh as
bouquets, then dried in the fall, with a bit of raffia, jute & other dried
fruit & flowers as au naturel bird feeders. I sell through the New Bern
Farmer's Market which is 15 miles away, and hope within a year or two to
have an on-farm stand, & subscription gardening similar to a CSA . Still
got lots to learn & experience!

How 'bout it everyone? Step right up & let's get to know you!

Liz Pike
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville, North Carolina

PS To Lawrence & Marcie-thank you, thank you, thank you from the bottom of
my heart! Great work!

  • introduction, Wiediger, Alison, 01/25/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: introduction, Elizabeth Pike, 01/25/2000