market-farming - Re: soil tests, micronutrients

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon AT mindspring.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Re: soil tests, micronutrients
  • Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 21:44:15 -0500

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000 15:41:12 -0600, Ann ODonnell <castoriver AT juno.com>
wrote:

> I recently had my soil tested through extension and had very low
> levels
>of S. (~5ppm). My pH is also low: 5.5. Can I just spread Sulfur dust on
>the surface?

Yes.

>Will this be toxic to good microbes?

No.

>Affect the pH?

Yes.

> Also had astronomical levels of Mn. (~50ppm) Can anybody explain this?
>Is there anything I can do about it?

Apply compost and rock powders: rock or colloidal
phosphate, rock dusts or pond files (rock silt) from
quarries and lots of compost. Plant cover crops that
use alot of or hyperaccumulate Mn (magnesium?).
The high levels of magnesium may be the result of
to frequest/to heavy application of dolomitic limestone
which, compared to other forms of agricultural
limestone is high in magnesium.

Double check this info for yourself to be sure.
A good websearch may give you good basic information
on ag micronutrients, possibly info on dealing with too much Mn
in your soil.
Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO
metalab.unc.edu/market-farming Market Farming
lflondon AT mindspring.com london AT metalab.unc.edu

  • Re: soil tests, micronutrients, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 02/03/2000