market-farming - Re: Uncomposted manures and raw food product safety

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon AT mindspring.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Re: Uncomposted manures and raw food product safety
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 17:04:59 -0500

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000 14:42:59 -0800, Marcie Rosenzweig
<fullcircle AT jps.net> wrote:

>Perhaps I should have clipped this down. It's probably not as important to
>talk about how E. coli mutated to this form (mostly because the powers

I am glad you mentioned this as I have wondered if e coli
contamination of my field crops is something I have to worry about,
considering that I may well use a variety of compost/manure soil
amendments on my beds that are in varying stages of decomposition.
Maybe a rule of thumb would be not to plant a harvestable food crop in
a bed until all e coli-containing amendments have aged X-number-of
weeks/months/years.

> PS Sanet has run a couple of threads on that topic.

sanet-mg, market-farming, csa, csa-l and permaculture are among
the dozen wonders of the cyber-world. Truly useful resources for all.

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm
http://metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
http://metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
http://metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO
lflondon AT mindspring.com london AT metalab.unc.edu

  • Re: Uncomposted manures and raw food product safety, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 02/01/2000