machinist - [machinist] TIG electrode grinding technique and equipment

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] TIG electrode grinding technique and equipment
  • Date: Wed, 8 May 2019 13:11:07 -0400

Information found in Facebook:

Use a dedicated wheel. I bought a little $30 grinder one day at Home Depot just for my TIG. It sits on the machine plugged into the water cooler receptacle. I don't bother using diamond, the cheap grey wheels that came on it work fine, but don't contaminate with anything else. Also grind the electrode with it held inline with the wheel, not sideways across. The rings left by grinding crossways will cause the arc to jump. One of the guys at work chucks the tail of the electrode in a cordless drill and rotates it slowly while guiding the tip with the fingers of the other hand. Makes for a much more even and centered taper.

--

  • [machinist] TIG electrode grinding technique and equipment, Lawrence London, 05/08/2019