machinist - [machinist] Retrofitting a VFD abd three phase motor in a single phase sop.

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Retrofitting a VFD abd three phase motor in a single phase sop.
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 12:00:38 -0400

Retrofitting a VFD abd three phase motor in a single phase sop.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/transformers-phase-converters-and-vfd/retrofitting-vfd-abd-three-phase-motor-single-phase-sop-318268/

From Forrest Addy

Retrofitting a VFD abd three phase motor in a single phase sop.

Brad Jacobs of "basement Shop Guy" fame on YouTube has made a series of three videos retrofitting a VFD and three phase motor in his handsome South Bend 13" lathe:

South Bend Lathe 3 Phase Motor & VFD Installation Part 1 - YouTube (part 1)

South Bend Lathe 3 Phase Motor & VFD Installation Part 2 - YouTube (part 2)

South Bend Lathe 3 Phase Motor & VFD Installation Part 3 - YouTube (part 3)

There may be a few out there dragging their feet, daunted in deciding to equip their machine tools with a variable speed motor delivering very smooth power from zero to 1 1/2 times the motor;s base RPM. Brad's video series shows the process step by step including some essential background commentary. A noob seeking to so equip his own machine tools can draw encouragement and practical guidance from the video series. Brad make the process seem almost painless.

This video is applicable to any manual machine and woodworking tool. Brad video starts with new equipment right out of the box. A seasoned scrounger wise to local sources can greatly reduce the cost of this evolution.

Brad gives a lot of credit for guidance to Stan Zukowski(?) of "Bar Z Industrial" and "shandon hkw"a machine shop related video blog on YouTube.

Regardless, Brad's experience exactly parallels my experience some years ago when I equipped my machine tools with VFD's.

Note Brad's use of good quality materials in compliance with electrical code even to obtaining the correct plug for his application. The only quibble I would have is his use of solid conductor bell wire for the control station I suggest 6 conductor 24 ga stranded shielded comm wire be used.

Very well done, Brad!!

And, yes, there are other ways of equipping a machine tool with variable speed but that is discussion for a separate thread. I suggest this thread be devoted to the practicalities and details elucidated in Brad;s videos. ..

  • [machinist] Retrofitting a VFD abd three phase motor in a single phase sop., Lawrence London, 03/29/2016