machinist - [machinist] Metalworkers saddle square - where to buy?

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Metalworkers saddle square - where to buy?
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 05:29:10 -0500

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/metalworkers-saddle-square-where-buy-271206/

  1. Default Metalworkers saddle square - where to buy?

    OK, so this guy sees me marking out some 2" box section with a homemade saddle square which i have for using to transfer scribe lines around square tube.

    It is sort of like this...

    Veritas Tools - Marking Tools - Saddle Squares

    Now mine was just made from a bit of angle, and i filed it square, and it is ok, but this dude wants a 'factory' steel one, and I do not know where to send him - most 'bought' ones I have seen are aluminium .

    Short of making one ( which I really do not have time for) where might he get one?

    Any ideas?

    Cheers.
  2. 08-28-2013, 03:39 PM #2
    PaulM is offline Stainless
    Feb 2007
    Location
    upton ma
    Posts
    1,079

    No idea where to buy one commercially. You found a source of AL ones for not to much $$ if he insists on steel make him a couple and charge him ~$100 ea
    speedy metals has 1/4 x 2 x 2 stainless angel for all of $2.16/inch or ~$22/ft - cut it, mill inside square, and square the end. #" X 3" is available as well if you want a bit larger or maybe trim one leg down ($3.32/in or about $34/ft

    oops your in the UK - not sure how easy it is to get material.

    Paul
    bic likes this.
  3. 08-28-2013, 05:04 PM #3
    bic
    bic is offline Aluminum
    Nov 2012
    Location
    York, England
    Posts
    116

    hi thanks for replying.
    yea i could make some but i am snowed under with a gazillion jobs, so i would rather not add to the pile of 'little jobs'

    i told him, if he goes easy on it, an aluminium one would do, but hes a bit of a tool magpie, so it has to be expensive and shiny...
  4. 08-28-2013, 06:37 PM #4
    L Vanice is offline Diamond
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    7,697

    I have hardened steel precision and less precise, but larger machined cast iron V-blocks that can be used for saddle squares. They must also be easy to find in the UK. Larry
  5. 08-28-2013, 06:52 PM #5
    Limy Sami is online now Diamond
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    9,983

    There's your answer bic, a nice hardened steel vee block,.....if he wants shiny & expensive - that'll do

    Seriously, I've seen some chinkycheapos somewhere? .... I'll try and remember.
  6. 08-28-2013, 07:09 PM #6
    Joe Rogers is offline Aluminum
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Lorton, Virginia
    Posts
    91

    How about a combination square center head...with no blade installed?
    Available in forged or hardened cast iron.
    Joe
  7. 08-29-2013, 02:32 AM #7
    abarnsley is offline Titanium
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Palmer, Alaska
    Posts
    2,492

    Why not something like a Starrett # 298 keyseat clamp?? With a U or L bent flat square, instead of a rule clamped.

    2 clamps that fit on a machinist rule... Clamps would allow some adjustment for tubing tolerances..

    298

    Not as fast as a U set up though
  8. 08-29-2013, 08:16 AM #8
    digger doug is offline Titanium
    Oct 2005
    Location
    erie,pa
    Posts
    2,543

    I'm missing something here.

    This is what I keep near the welding bench:
    Speed square - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I'm all ears if you've got something better, but I don't seem to have much problems
    with the aforementioned.
  9. 08-29-2013, 08:58 AM #9
    Andy St is offline Stainless
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,083

    Might not be what you want but here is another factory made one. This one has a small wing to go around the corner.

    M.POWER's Combination-3D Try Square & Marking Gauge

    Andy
  10. 08-29-2013, 09:45 AM #10
    PaulM is offline Stainless
    Feb 2007
    Location
    upton ma
    Posts
    1,079

    Your all missing an "opportunity" he wants shiny and fancy.
    Show him the list price for a Moore edge finder (now somewhere around $4000 - yup that's right four grand) - he can use one of those. Of course the surfaces he would be using are not even the high precision ones. Or make him one, re-purpose an angle plate and scrape the edges - those pretty patterns are expensive it will cost you $2K just the ticket for marking out 2x4's
    paul
  11. 08-29-2013, 09:53 AM #11
    RebHawk's Avatar
    RebHawk is offline Hot Rolled
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Boone, North Carolina
    Posts
    520

    Have him buy one of these:

    2 Piece Post Level and Square Set

    He will no doubt be wowed by the levels and pretty color. If you look hard enough, you might even be able to find a metal one.

    --Hawk
  12. 08-29-2013, 12:20 PM #12
    Limy Sami is online now Diamond
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    9,983

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    I'm missing something here.

    This is what I keep near the welding bench:
    Speed square - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I'm all ears if you've got something better, but I don't seem to have much problems
    with the aforementioned.
    Different beast Doug, with a saddle square you can strike off two faces at one setting - faster and more accurate as you don't have to pick up from another face, with a possibly largish radius getting in the way.

    Personally - Like the OP I used to make them from pieces of angle, or cut box section.
    digger doug likes this.
  13. 08-29-2013, 12:52 PM #13
    John Madarasz's Avatar
    John Madarasz is offline Stainless
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Frazer, PA.
    Posts
    1,036

    Default Try Bridgecity

    BridgeCity makes a nice multi tool that has a saddle square incorporated, and also a 6" saddle square, both in stainless. Rather pricey, but I'd be proud to own and use one if I had the extra cash to throw at it.

    They are an American toolmaker geared toward the collector market...kind of like the fishing shop selling stuff geared toward catching the fisherman, rather than the fish ;~)

    Not available for outright purchase at this time, but I imagine if your associate were seriously interested he could own one...just need to contact the toolmaker directly. I don't imagine international shipping would be a big deal for a small item like this.

    The only Bridgecity tool I own is a 6" LR/RL reading rule in 1/16"s and 32nd's, and it is very well made and handy for certain layouts

    MT-1 Multi-Tool - Bridge City Tool Works

    6" saddle square

    DSS-6 Double Saddle Square - Squares - Tools - Bridge City Tool Works

  14. 11-05-2013, 06:58 PM #14
    Mud's Avatar
    Mud
    Mud is offline Diamond
    May 2002
    Location
    South Central PA
    Posts
    10,010

    Not aimed at metalworkers, but I picked one of these up at Home Depot last week.

    The Universal Square combination square and layout guide

  • [machinist] Metalworkers saddle square - where to buy?, Lawrence London, 11/06/2013