machinist - [machinist] Hand water pump; making one in shop/buying a manufactured unit

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org, Appropriate Technology <approtech@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [machinist] Hand water pump; making one in shop/buying a manufactured unit
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 19:03:40 -0400

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/ss-hand-water-pump-274280/

  1. 10-29-2013, 07:45 AM #1
    Wpala is offline Plastic
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    16

    Default SS hand water pump

    Hi
    Would like to build a hand deep well water pump (do not want to spend 1k) have all the equipment for it just would like to know what type of SS would be best suited for the project I know some types machine and weld better then others but has to be capable to stand up to submerged environment obviously
    If someone has done something like that would also love to see the ideas for cylinder build, I have a few but experience is best

    Thanks in advance
    Paul
  2. 10-29-2013, 08:25 AM #2
    JRIowa's Avatar
    JRIowa is online now Diamond
    May 2003
    Location
    Marshalltown, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    6,409

    316/316L would be first choice. Excellent corrosion resistance, decent machining and weldable. Next would be 304. Stay away from 303 stainless, it has problems if you weld.
    JR
  3. 10-29-2013, 09:09 AM #3
    Heavey Metal is online now Titanium
    May 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,228

    SS is alright for the sucker rods but most working barrels are ali bronze ss galls to easy.

    https://www.lehmans.com/p-4793-deep-well-lift-pump.aspx
    You, digger doug, Red James and 1 others like this.
  4. 10-29-2013, 11:16 AM #4
    magneticanomaly is offline Hot Rolled
    Mar 2007
    Location
    On Elk Mountain, West Virginia, USA
    Posts
    930

    There are a couple for sale now, of which this Bison Hand Water PumpsBISON PUMPS® is only one.

    The old hand-pump cylinders were cast-iron with brass or bronze sleeve, sometimes brass valves, and leather cup.

    That design in 316 would be my choice, with a couple of mods...principally a UHMWPE piston, UHMWPE valve poppets maybe with dovetailed-in o-rings, and using a standard glass-filled nylon hydraulic cylinder wear ring as a piston ring. Might have to experiment with the wear-ring to be sure that swell does not make it bind....but as a piston-ring it should be in a groove deeper than its thickness, so likely no problem. No risk of galling with plastic piston. 304 0r fiberglass for sucker rod.

    I'd like to see your design! I put an antique pump down my electric-pumped well,alongside the jet, in 1980 or so, and for the next 10 years I lived there greatly enjoyed access to my water during electic power outage or electric-pump failures.

    A reason to avoid 304 is pitting corrosion. A reason to avoid brass is failure by de-zincification...tin- or silicon- or aluminum-bronze is okay
  5. 10-29-2013, 11:25 AM #5
    redlee's Avatar
    redlee is offline Cast Iron
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Beaver County Alb. Canada
    Posts
    440

    Why not go with something like this for the Cyl.mat.
    http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...55123115,d.b2I
  6. 10-29-2013, 11:47 AM #6
    Bill D is offline Titanium
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Modesto, CA USA
    Posts
    2,505

    why not brass or bronze? better wear properties some what self lubricating. no worries about heavy metals in the water.
    Bill D.
    digger doug likes this.
  7. 10-29-2013, 12:22 PM #7
    Wpala is offline Plastic
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    16

    Thank You all for you contributions !!!
    Much appreciated keep them coming.
    Some of the new pumps are SS, but you are right I could make it out of bronze especially the internal part would this work SSpipe as a cylinder and then sucking valve out of bronze?

    The composite one look good and promising however i'm afraid that slow chemical leaching can occur with time this stuff has not been tested for drinking water so that is out, I still remember the days that a most of pipes were made with lead in them and they were saying oh no problem its safe, I think bronze/ brass and SS have proven to be one of the safest - at least to my limited knowledge

    Paul
  8. 10-29-2013, 04:18 PM #8
    Limy Sami is online now Diamond
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    9,953

    IME you should not run stainless on stainless - either sliding or rotating.

    IME You should use bronze and not brass which has a tendency to fall apart in some waters.
    bosleyjr likes this.
  9. 10-29-2013, 06:45 PM #9
    bosleyjr's Avatar
    bosleyjr is online now Titanium
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SE PA, Philly
    Posts
    3,825

    Agree with Limy. No brass. No SS part rubbing any other SS part (if you have to have a SS screw in an SS tapped hole, silverplate and used silver-bearing anti-gall) . But I'd make your sucking rod of SS (better tensile properties), and the cylinder of bronze.
  10. 10-29-2013, 07:01 PM #10
    LFLondon's Avatar
    LFLondon is online now Hot Rolled
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    554

    Quote Originally Posted by Heavey Metal View Post
    SS is alright for the sucker rods but most working barrels are ali bronze ss galls to easy.

    https://www.lehmans.com/p-4793-deep-well-lift-pump.aspx
    This is a Heller-Aller well pump; these are time-proven, reliable and cost effective. I have seen and used one;
    there are many different models; some have hose bibs for connecting pump to elevated water storage - a first
    class piece of equipment; glad to see they are still being manufactured. - accessories are extra, i.e. piping, etc.;
    total cost for an average well might be around $1000 or more.

  • [machinist] Hand water pump; making one in shop/buying a manufactured unit, Lawrence London, 10/29/2013