machinist - [machinist] Test indicators and cosine error

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Test indicators and cosine error
  • Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 22:24:29 -0500

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/test-indicators-cosine-error-261440/

  1. Rustymic is offline Plastic
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    36

    Default Test indicators and cosine error

    Recently I purchased Mahr 801SL (4306950). I bought it for use in aligning bores in the lathe that are fairly long, aligning at each end round within .0005 . I have heard and read a little bit about cosine error and errors from changing the stylus. I am wondering does this only come into play while using a test indicator for surface comparator? Does anyone have any info so I may wrap my head around this as I have done some searching and reading. I dont see how turning the lathe chuck will cause the indicator to not read correctly no matter the angle(cosine). Thanks for your time guys, much appreciate it .
  2. #2
    NateA2 is offline Aluminum
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ann Arbor MI.
    Posts
    50

    It matters not, if just trying to bring things into line. if you are using it to actually measure something (like the depth of a small shallow dent in a workpiece) a vertical indicator like an interrapid will only measure the distance difference correctly if in a certain orientation.

    I seem to remember that for an interrapid I had it was 11-16degrees. I probably dont remember this correctly...

    lever type indicators are great for some things, but I try and keep measurements to insturments that only measure. That said, indicators are great for measuring distances when doing scraping and aligning ways.

    Indicators are king for doing alignments of all kinds.
  3. #3
    Hopefuldave is offline Aluminum
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Surrey, England
    Posts
    139

    I agree with Nate, although I remember it as 12 degrees... A lever (test) indicator is for comparisons, rather than actual measurement in my book, so fine for centring a workpiece, checking height against gauge blocks etc, but measuring anything needs a plunger indicator and a precise 90 degree angle.

    Just my ha'pennorth,
    Dave H. (the other one)
    John Welden likes this.
  4. #4
    Peter. is offline Cast Iron
    Mar 2007
    Location
    England UK
    Posts
    451

    Aren't the tear-drop shaped ends for preventing cosine errors on a DTI?
  5. #5
    Metalcutter's Avatar
    Metalcutter is online now Titanium
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    2,338

    The dial indicators you are talking about are called Comparators. They do very well in comparing one surface to another surface. ie. A Jo Block to a part surface hopefully of the same height. That is a comparing process.
    There are way too many variables in a comparator to actually measure something, as the needle point is waving around in an arc.

    If you want to measure, use a micrometer or a caliper, they are designed for linear movement, like a yard stick.

    Regards,

    Stan-
  6. #6
    CarbideBob is offline Stainless
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Flushing/Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    1,814

    Cosine errors on a DTI are about the correct angle of the stylus to the surface.
    Anytime you use a DTI you should know the angle it works correctly at.

    When changing tips you want to be very careful about length of the tip.
    Swapping makes (and lengths) here can mess your readings up by a long way.
    Using a different tip, one that still screws in just fine, it is possible to throw your readings off by a factor of 2.
    Do not ask how I know this, it brings up very bad memories.

    Bob
    JRIowa and Clyde like this.
  7. #7
    JRIowa's Avatar
    JRIowa is offline Diamond
    May 2003
    Location
    Marshalltown, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    5,393

    The cosine error is lowest when the stylus is almost parallel to the surface being checked. It's at is worst when the angle of the stylus is at 45 deg to what is being checked. The dial states the movement at the tip of the stylus, but you have to remember that tip travels in a circle. There, the indicator shows 0.001" at the tip, but movement would be 0.000707". If you're not changing the stylus angle and are only doing comparisons, it's not an issue.

    I feel Bob's pain also.
    JR
    Mike C. likes this.
  8. #8
    Rustymic is offline Plastic
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    36

    So when using to indicate in / align a part on a bore or round OD then you wouldn't worry about the cosine error?
  9. #9
    Mike C. is offline Diamond
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    9,726

    Yup, use a DTI for relative measurements only (dialing in a part into concentricity on a lathe), not for direct measurements (using it against the compound to measure depth of cut on a lathe without or with screwed up leadscrew dials).
  10. #10
    Rustymic is offline Plastic
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    36

    Thanks you guys. As always a wealth of knowledge and awesome.
  11. #11
    Putch's Avatar
    Putch is online now Cast Iron
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Butler, PA
    Posts
    445

    those button head or back plunger indicators are awesome when it comes to lathe work by the way, like when you're dialing in a rough stock OD and such. Also when you have to reach between the jaws and a piece that doesn't stick our far enough to get a regular dial indicator on, the long needle attachment that extends from the front of the indicator is great!
  12. #12
    aerodark's Avatar
    aerodark is offline Stainless
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bothell, WA USA
    Posts
    1,686

    Quote Originally Posted by Rustymic View Post
    So when using to indicate in / align a part on a bore or round OD then you wouldn't worry about the cosine error?
    To a degree. You wouldn't want the stylus at more than 15° to the work.
  13. #13
    jim rozen is offline Diamond
    Feb 2004
    Location
    peekskill, NY
    Posts
    19,881

    "It's at is worst when the angle of the stylus is at 45 deg"

    I would say, even worse when it's at 90 degrees - a direct plunge-in!

    dial test indicators are null detecting devices. They're best used when the
    answer you are trying to achieve, is zero deflection of the needle.
    9100 and aerodark like this.
  14. #14
    CarbideBob is offline Stainless
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Flushing/Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    1,814

    Quote Originally Posted by Rustymic View Post
    So when using to indicate in / align a part on a bore or round OD then you wouldn't worry about the cosine error?
    I always find this along with "dial test indicator is only used to show zero as a comparator" interesting.
    If it says 2/10ths big I kind of want to know how much to adjust the machine.
    Yes I know the "right" way is to zero on the part then go back to a adjustable master or stack blocks see what this number actually is.
    Very few of my measurements come out exactly zero and I'll be dammned if I'm going to go back and dial in the height master to get a number if I'm making the same part all day.
    I will zero my DTI on nominal and then I will trust it to tell me where I am.

    Also when checking runout if it is not zero then how much runout do you have?
    Understanding the error is key to using the gauge.
    Doing a bit of math you can make them way sensitive once you get your head around how they work.

    A bit of playing around with differing angles and a set of good gauge blocks will teach you a lot.
    Bob
  15. #15
    machinistrrt is offline Hot Rolled
    Aug 2008
    Location
    near Cleveland
    Posts
    646

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter. View Post
    Aren't the tear-drop shaped ends for preventing cosine errors on a DTI?
    I thought Fowlers were known for that, it was supposed to minimise cosine error. WRT Interrapids, two things: one, there are two different length styli, make sure the one being used matches the indicator (date of manufacture) else you'll have error that you can't quite figure out, and two, the stylus angle is different for the Interrapid compared to most others.
  16. #16
    May 2010
    Location
    Kolding Denmark
    Posts
    6,864

    Quote Originally Posted by Hopefuldave View Post
    I agree with Nate, although I remember it as 12 degrees... A lever (test) indicator is for comparisons, rather than actual measurement in my book, so fine for centring a workpiece, checking height against gauge blocks etc, but measuring anything needs a plunger indicator and a precise 90 degree angle.

    Just my ha'pennorth,
    Dave H. (the other one)
    Dave the only thing I take exception to is the word "precise" Unless the person using the indicator has a severe eye fault then perpendicularity is easy to see and any measurement innacuracy from a slight deviance from 90º is probably less than the innacuracy of the instrument.

    Wow, do I usually use such long words?

    Gordon
  17. #17
    Rustymic is offline Plastic
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    36

    So after reading up more on the subject and seeing a test result a PM'er did with a DTI and a calibration machine, the cosine error makes a lot more sense. From what I gather if you have the stylus anywhere from 45-60 degrees your going to receive a error in reading. If you move something say .0005 it would actually move a hair less do the the error. So here is a thought; if you have the stylus set 45 - 60 and are using it for aligning a part in a machine. Is the part more accurately aligned in the machine having the cosine error? Or is this thought a little too deep and I should just be happy with limited dial movement and move on to cutting the part? Thanks for the knowledge as usual.
  18. #18
    maxh is online now Cast Iron
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    366

    Quote Originally Posted by Rustymic View Post
    So after reading up more on the subject and seeing a test result a PM'er did with a DTI and a calibration machine, the cosine error makes a lot more sense. From what I gather if you have the stylus anywhere from 45-60 degrees your going to receive a error in reading. If you move something say .0005 it would actually move a hair less do the the error. So here is a thought; if you have the stylus set 45 - 60 and are using it for aligning a part in a machine. Is the part more accurately aligned in the machine having the cosine error? Or is this thought a little too deep and I should just be happy with limited dial movement and move on to cutting the part? Thanks for the knowledge as usual.
    It would be a hair less accurate, as the dial would be moving a hair less for a given amount of runout.

    I have a Bestest indicator, .0005" markings, with the LONG contact point (37mm I think, which is 1.436") and I love it. I dropped it one day and broke the contact point (luckily that was all due to falling on a piece of foam) so I bought a new contact point, and while shopping I decided to get a 1/2" long point as well. Now I can swap out to the shorter contact point to increase the sensitivity of my indicator. .5" / 1.436" x .0005 = .000174" per mark with the shorter contact point in.
  19. #19
    screensnot is online now Cast Iron
    Jul 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    488

    Quote Originally Posted by maxh View Post
    ...as the dial would be moving a hair less for a given amount of runout.
    You have that backward. The dial will show more runout than actual.

  • [machinist] Test indicators and cosine error, Lawrence London, 03/02/2013