livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] What Alice Waters is Missing

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Liz" <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] What Alice Waters is Missing
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 15:39:23 -0400

Have you looked into Once a Month Cooking? I've never done
it, but I always made big meals that would make more than
one meal every meal on the weekend and figured out what
simple things I would add during the week to "stretch them
out".

Yes, but my problem right now is that I basically have one day a week at home, into which I must jam everything that has to be done for the week. Laundry, bread-making, the once-every-other-week cheese batch--I already have more than I can easily do, and I also have to spend part of that time putting together the paperwork for the coming week's work. Plus the once a month recipes I've seen included a lot of things I won't use--canned soups, pasta mixes, and so on. And we stay in extended stay hotels with full kitchens, so I can and do cook on the road. Making large batches of things once a month wouldn't really help me that much, and my freezer is already jammed full of food anyway.

The answer for me is to cut back on the amount of work I'm doing so I can spend more time at home. As Paul pointed out, a lot of other people are doing the same thing, most of them not by choice. I'm not happy about the loss of income, but I think it's essential to enlarge the garden and get more fruit trees and berries planted, so that's what I've chosen to do.

Liz
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com