livingontheland - [Livingontheland] from Hope and fear by James Howard Kunstler

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] from Hope and fear by James Howard Kunstler
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 20:08:45 -0700

"The "change" we face in agriculture dwarfs even the death throes of Happy
Motoring (and is not unrelated to it either). A lot of people are likely to
starve in America if we don't get our act together pronto in terms of how
we produce the food we eat. Petro-agribusiness faces a set of disturbances
that are certain to induce food shortages. Again, the Peak Oil specter
looms in the background, for soil "inputs" and diesel power to run that
system. But all of a sudden even that problem appears a lesser danger than
the gross failure of capital finance now underway -- and
petro-agriculture's chief external input is credit. Credit may be in
extremely short supply this year, and hence crops may be in short supply as
we turn the corner into spring and summer. Just as in the case of WalMart
versus Main Street, the reform of farming in America is one of those
"changes" much larger than most of us imagine. I'd go so far to say that a
large proportion of young people now in college will find themselves not
working in office cubicles, but in some way or other in farming or the
"value-added" activities connected to it."

from Hope and fear by James Howard Kunstler
Published Jan 19 2009 by blog
http://www.energybulletin.net/node/47782

  • [Livingontheland] from Hope and fear by James Howard Kunstler, Tradingpost, 01/20/2009