livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Grey Fox

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Grey Fox
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 13:57:17 -0400

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 09:07:15 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>Does anyone have experience living near grey foxes? My
>neighbors report repeated sightings of a grey fox near
>our shed in our back yard. We think they might be
>living under the shed.

>Anyone? Please? I would like them to stay if they're
>going to eat my rodents, but if they're going to cause
>problems, I would actively discourage their presence.

We have gray foxes here. They haven't caused any problems
at all for us. I'd be sure my animals have up-to-date
rabies vaccinations - but you should do this anyway.

We have a cat. Interestingly, she treats the foxes as if
they were cats and most definitely NOT as if they were dogs.
She'll stare down a fox - until it turns and goes away. She
also will yowl (that cat-fight noise) at a fox if she's in
the house looking out the window at one.

This is very different from her reaction to dogs. She
automatically runs from dogs (except ours, of course) even
if they are much smaller than she is.

We used to have a neighbor with a miniature poodle weighing
maybe all of 5 lbs, and our cat weighs 15 lbs (she's a
pretty large cat). I used to worry about the poodle: she
might have decided he was a prey animal... but she always
just ran from him.

I don't know exactly how you could discourage them anyway
(and I probably don't want to know).

I think it very likely that they will help with the rodent
problem.

Pat
--
Gardening in northern Pennsylvania.

Eat local food, change the world for the better!