livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Livingontheland Digest, Vol 46, Issue 6

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Livingontheland Digest, Vol 46, Issue 6
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 12:51:31 -0700 (PDT)

Dear all,

Since this issue 6 had a lot on potatoes, you might be interested in Ruth Stout's way.  Read her two little books.  She lifts the thick mulch and drops the potatoe on the ground and lets the mulch fall back over it.  Than she says, "I will come back in the fall and harvest my potatoes",  This is in the video. Reading her books was my introduction to no-till gardening. 7,000 people visited her garden the 25 years she had it until her death in 1990. She does one thing in the garden I would never recommend but you will have to watch the video to learn what it is.  To be honest, I would like to do it.

There is a simple, low tech solution to the water problem.  I can see in the future that many cities will not allow gardening because the water they use.  Even city should use biological water treatment which is inexpensive to build and operate.  The sewage goes through three ponds and when it leaves the third pond it is perfectly safe to drink.  That turns a lot of people off but hear this. Ft Worth takes water from the Trinity river and flushes it down the toilet, treats it and dumps it back into the river. Arlington then takes it and flushes it down the toilet, treats it and dumps in back into the river.  Then Dallas and on and on.

Ken Hargesheimer

Go to: http://bibledvd.googlepages.com/home and www.nabuur.com

Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Football ’06 - Go with the leader. Start your league today!