livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] please help

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] please help
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 12:49:45 -0600

As a rule we avoid activist type material on the list, but I've made a
special exception for NAIS in the past. I'm with you.

This is from "Hope for the Future of Farming", John Ikerd, University of
Missouri
http://www.ssu.missouri.edu/faculty/jikerd/papers/SFT1-hope.htm

"... The greatest source of hope for the future is among farmers who
are seeking and finding new ways to farm. They may claim the label of
organic, low-input, alternative, biodynamic, holistic, permaculture,
practical farmers, or just plain farmer. But they are all trying to build
farming systems that are ecologically sound, economically viable, and
socially responsible.
".. These new American farmers focus on working with nature rather
than against it .
.". They market in the niches and increase value by more nearly
meeting the individual needs of their customers. They market through
farmers markets, roadside stands, subscription farming or CSAs, home
delivery, or by customer pick-up at the farm. They market to people who
care where their food comes from and how it is produced – locally grown,
organic, humanely raised, or hormone and antibiotic free.
".. They may produce grass finished beef, pastured pork, free range
or pastured poultry, heirloom varieties of fruits and vegetables, dairy or
milk goats, edible flowers, decorative gourds, or dozens of other products
that many label as agricultural “alternatives.” In general, new
American farmers focus on creating value through uniqueness-- among
consumers, among producers, and within nature. They link people with
purpose and place, and by so doing, they create unique systems of meeting
human needs that cannot be industrialized.
".. Human life depends on farming, and life is simply too precious to
live without hope."

( Published in Sustaining People through Agriculture column, Small Farm
Today, May/June, 2001 issue. )

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net