livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Greywater chemistry

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: moabgail@frontiernet.net
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Greywater chemistry
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 17:34:24 +0000

Quoting Pat Meadows <pat@meadows.pair.com>:

On Wed, 31 May 2006 05:53:04 +0000, you wrote:

This whole thread has cracked me up.

Of course you can use graywater for growing anything.

Plants do not absorb and are not hosts for any of the possible human
disease causing organisms found in either graywater or humanure.

Oh, really? What accounts for the cases of salmonella and
other food poisonings caused by vegetables and salad stuffs,
then?

Would you be happy to eat lettuce that has been washed in
water containing a large population of e-coli? I wouldn't.

Certainly not, Pat. I wash all vegetables that might come in contact with the soil in clean water from our well.

Good soil has so many organisms in it any found in greywater hardly make any difference.

I believe this thread originally addressed the significance of soap residue in greywater. Most soaps are low phosphate these days so there shouldn't be much impact from greywater. In the past the high phosphate soaps actually added a fertilizing effect to the greywater.

The only thing I'd be very concerned about in greywater would be excessive grease.

Gail