labruscagrape - [OFEX] Scionwood plus Apples of Versailles, and a few misc questions.

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Biz Storms" <biz.storms@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "'Ontario Fruit Explorers'" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [OFEX] Scionwood plus Apples of Versailles, and a few misc questions.
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:31:18 -0500

http://www.bienmanger.com/2R336_Potager_Roi_Apples.html

Good morning and Happy New Year!

I hope everyone had a great holiday season and your gardens and orchards are
surviving the recent weather.

My newly rediscovered abundance of free time has led to some web browsing.
It's fun, but very time addictive. Whilst attempting to locate info on the
De L'estre apple, I stumbled my way into the apples of Versailles. There's
no actual mention to when the varieties on the list actually date to - other
than the reference to the 1680's - but it makes for an interesting read. I'm
intending to take a closer look on the weekend with a big cup of tea in
hand.

To shift the topic somewhat, I am heading out into the orchard this weekend
to take advantage of the reduced snow levels, and warmer temps, to gather
scionwood. I have already listed a batch for Margie and the Genebank - (
Margie, I hope your foot is feeling better from the surgery! ), but can
easily snip extra wood for fellow members. Does anyone need anything? We
have been hit hard in the last few weeks by the bloody jackrabbits but the
older trees with higher branches have not been so badly ravaged as the
younger trees. The wildlife guys tell us that the jackrabbits will be bad
for another year or two, or three, since the coyote population is lighter.
Any suggestions on improving the amorous activities of coyotes? Fortunately,
the Plantskydd Spray is still proving to be successful in discouraging the
deer. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way.

DNA Gardens has also grabbed my attention, specifically the Sea buckhorn
(thorn?), honeyberries and shrub cherries. Any advice, experience, or
suggestions? We placed an order last year but managed to fry many of the
plants in the green house by accident. ( We'll certainly remember Bert's
trick with the car polish next year. ) We are working up some ideas on what
to plant along 80 feet of fencing - to act as edible landscaping for birds
and humans, incorporates winter interest (likely some tractor seat
sculptures and shrubs like Harry's Walking stick and coppiced willow) and is
hardy to zone 4 and handles full sun. Anyway, we are going to place another
order soon, and would welcome any feedback. Saskatoons are also on the
potential list.

That's all for this morning. And, since it's the month when the postman
brings neat things to read almost every day - happy plant and seed catalogue
browsing.

Cheers, Bizmark.