labruscagrape - [OFEX] rootstock source closes

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "bert dunn" <helbert@idirect.com>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [OFEX] rootstock source closes
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 14:07:05 -0400

Biz
You're a good prospect for stolling.
Did it years ago- piece of cake. Happily I was seduced away by grapes-----cheers        Bert
Bert Dunn  Box 352 Schomberg    LOG1T0     1-905-880-4453

Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 12:20 PM
Subject: Re: [OFEX] Scab has surfaced!

Hi guys,

We had our first spray for scab on Sunday. The heads-up went out on Friday that it has been spotted the day before ( Thursday ), so we had to get going with this year’s spray programme. Temps, rain, and degree days put everyone on alert – and it appeared like magic. Anyone else noticed it in their areas?

I also just discovered that John Traas, as in Traas Rootstock, BC, has announced his retirement. This means there will no longer be a Canadian commercial source for rootstock. He was the last. Hopefully, some one will give it a go, otherwise we are looking at importing, or going to Canadian placed who bring it in from the US or Holland.

The apples at our place are well in to silver and green tip, and a few crabs are leafing out. Although things may close up a bit with today’s chillier temps. With warmer and sunny temps coming for the rest of the week – blossoms will be here soon!  Hooray!

Cheers, Bizmark.